Richmond transmissions

Richmond transmissions

Postby Randy Blaylock » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Anybody have experience with Richmond products good or bad? We're looking at the 5 speed road race specifically. Sure would be nice if it's robust enough.
Randy Blaylock

Re: Richmond transmissions

Postby Randy Blaylock » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 am

Crickets....

The Richmond tech dept said they're not suitable fwiw.

Also, the T56 bellhousing does not fit under the crossover collectors. The path is now clear, 5.5 inch clutch/bellhousing and standard 4 speed crash box, or 5 speed with spacer to accomodate the reverse mount starter. Moving forward. Approximately 10 weeks to green.
Randy Blaylock

Postby BK Racing » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Randy,

I have no personal experience driving a Richmond five-speed transmission, but a buddy used one of their six-speeds in a first-gen Firebird Solo I car and their Tech Department is correct. It might be a decent street transmission, but we kept missing shifts and the ratios were not really suitable for competition.

I also worked on a GT-1 car that came to us with a Richmond five-speed that had been cooked by the previous owner. We took it to Johnny Hightower (Hightower Racing Transmissions near Greenville, SC) for an estimate on rebuilding it, and it was cheaper to buy a brand new Jerico.
Butch Kummer
Associate Pastor
First Church of GTA
(V8)GTA Monte Cuervo #57
BK Racing

Postby Randy Blaylock » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 am

Thank you Butch.

After looking at several different paths, we're going to use a T101A with full REM processed internals that's got fresh dogs, with a Tex SR1 and/or my Jerico top loader as back ups.

We're also going to run the Winters quick change in the 12 hour enduro in October, and assess things after that to make a judgment about whether it will last 25 hours. For what it's worth, both the transmission and rear ends will be set up with identical cooling/cleaning systems consisting of a scavenge filter, a two stage Mangus belt driven external pump, a dual HP4 filter boss to both increase fluid capacity and filter the fluid, and an 11 x 11 plate cooler that's got fresh air ducted to it and a fan pulling air through as well.

Also building up a rack that will mount on top of the hood on the hood pins for lights, since we will be running in the dark as well, and a wiper and defrost system.

Purchased four sets of wets the other day.
Randy Blaylock

Postby Bosco » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Randy, Our experience with the T101 in our Howe GTA type has been that these tranny's are extremely durable, excellent shifting, especially with the LONG shifter. We raced ours about 8 weekends in 07 then had it freshened. Was still operating perfectly, Didn't need much, cost about 500 dollars.
Bosco

Postby CWJRH » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:33 pm

I have been following all the replies with great interest.
In regards to the Tex 101a transmission-you guys that have used it,
How do you think it will hold up for the 24 Hour Daytona race?
We currently use a Jerico 5 speed and we don't have problems with it
but I am just trying to free up some driveline horsepower.
We don't run the horsepower you guys run.
Thanks for any and all replies.
CWJRH

Return to V8 Technical Discussion